Chef Deon's Conch Burgers
For conch lovers, this is better than an “ordinary" beef burger. You'll find just the right texture, the flavor of our own Vineyard waters, and a lighter but incredibly satisfying combo! Note: This recipe is featured in my upcoming book... check it out right here!
- 1 lb minced conch tenders /454g
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 c buttermilk /118.3ml
- 1⁄2 c chopped green onion /41ml
- 1⁄2 c chopped red pepper /58.5ml
- 1⁄2 c chopped celery /50ml
- 1⁄2 c chopped parsley or cilantro /17ml
- 1 c cooked quinoa /170g
- 1 tbsp fish sauce /14.8ml
- 1 tbsp MV sea salt /15ml
- 1 tbsp granulated onion /10ml
- 1⁄3 c olive oil /71ml
- 1 tbsp coconut oil /14.8ml
Bring oil to searing temperature and sauté vegetables in order: onion, pepper, celery, parsley, and sweat until vegetables are translucent, then chill.
Scrape half of the conch into the food processor, add eggs, milk, and fish sauce, purée for 3-5 minutes, scrape from bucket into a bowl. Add chilled vegetables, quinoa, and the remaining conch to the conch purée.
Portion mixture into 4 oz patties and place between parchment paper. Let patties rest for 5 minutes before cooking.
Drizzle coconut oil onto hot griddle as oil sizzles, grill the patties to a golden hue 2 minutes on each side.
Remove and serve on toasted bun with fried pickles, baby arugula, and a dollop of roasted onion and tomatillo mayo.